So now you are stuck with four USB Type-C interface on your new MacBook Pro. How are you going to make the most of them. For starters, what about extra storage.
The Future is USB-C
The beauty of USB Type-C is it uses USB3.1 industry standard, the latest and fastest interface, 10Gbps also the fact that there is no right way up. Both ends are the same and can be plugged in any way, without even looking at it. It can also carry more power to charge-up even the laptop as seen on MacBook 12 and the new MacBook Pro or act as a power source. Apple boast charging the MacBook Pro from any port as well as provide charge for your devices.
The new Thunderbolt 3 interface also uses the same USB Type-C connector and port. This means every Thunderbolt 3 port will also work as USB-C port and peripherals designed for either Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C will work as soon as you plug them in. In terms of cables, the Thunderbolt 3 cables will also work as USB-C cable but for better speed and stability, you may want to invest in a good Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C cable depending on your device.
Finally, it won’t take long before other manufacturers follow Apple’s footstep in implementing Type-C connectors for their laptop, tablet and smartphones. We already see this in the smartphone market. At Colour My Tech we think the move to USB-C is eminent, the earlier you accept that, the sooner you get to take advantage of the new speed and ease of connectivity. USB Type-A and Type-B as well as Mini-USB have been great, but we prefer USB-C
An absolute essential for photographers, designers, movie editors, video graphers or simply for backing up your data in a portable, bus-powered slim design. SSD based portable drives are also more compact and slim. so manufacturer even make it rugged and pocketable so you can take it for your next trek, outdoor adventure, or on-location shoot.
Top 5 Best Portable USB-C External Storage Drives for Mac & PC
We round up 5 of the best portable USB-C external storage drives for Mac and PC. These are either based on spindle hard drives or solid state drives. Depending on your budget or selection criteria be it size, speed or design, these drives ought to have you covered.
Our recommendation would be if you are after storage size and don’t mind the wait, get a portable storage with hard disk drive with size up to 4TB, perfect for video footages and finalised videos. But, if value performance more, then any of the portable storage with Solid State Drive is your answer. Finally, if you don’t mind forking out, there are portable storage offering both performance and size of up to 1TB.
- G-Technology G-DRIVE Slim Type-C Portable Drive – 1TB (Gold, Space Gray or Rose Gold)
- LaCie Porsche Design USB-C Mobile Hard Drive – 1TB, 2TB or 4TB (Silver, Gold or Rose Gold)
- LaCie Rugged USB-C Mobile Hard Drive – 1TB, 2TB or 4TB RUGGED
- G-Technology G-DRIVE Slim SSD Drive USB-C – 500GB or 1TB SSD
- SanDisk Extreme USB-C Portable SSD – 480GB SSD, RUGGED
BONUS: Samsung T3 Portable SSD – 250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB SSD, SHOCK-PROOF, COMPACT
OTHERS: Anglebird SSD2go PKT USB 3.1 Type-C SSD Drive – 256GB or 512GB SSD
1. G-Technology G-DRIVE Type-C Portable Drive – 1TB (Gold, Space Gray or Rose Gold)
The G-DRIVE Type-C Portable Drive from G-Technology uses the cheaper Hard Disk Drive, making it more affordable compared to portable storage based on Solid State Drives. Still, G-Technology managed to create a tidy little slim package, in a stylish bevelled aluminium case. If money is not the issue, go for the G-DRIVE Slim SSD also with USB-C interface, also featured on our list.
- USB Type-C and 7200RPM technology delivers outstanding performance
- Up to 136MB/s transfer rates with USB3.1 Gen 1 standard with USB-C connectivity
- Thin, beveled aluminium case for easy portability
- Stores plenty of videos, photos, documents and music
- Bus-powered – no need for a separate power connection
- Plug-and-play macOS setup with Time Machine compatible
2. LaCie Porsche Design USB-C Mobile Hard Drive – 1TB, 2TB or 4TB (Silver, Gold or Rose Gold)
LaCie Porsche Design series has been around for a while. The USB-C Mobile Hard Drive is just the natural path for LaCie to ensure that all corners of portable storage are covered. So if you are looking for Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 storage, LaCie will have it. The USB-C drive delivers speeds of up to 5 Gbps for rapidly transferring data to and from your USB-C–enabled MacBook or Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)–enabled MacBook Pro. The drive also ensures compatibility with Mac computers and PCs that have standard USB (USB-A) ports, thanks to an included USB-C to USB-A cable.
- USB-C connectivity for current and future systems
- Compatible with USB 3.0 ports using included adapter cable
- Delivers speeds up to 5 Gbps
- Lightweight and sturdy all-aluminum enclosure by Porsche Design. The 4TB version seen in the middle below is a little thicker and you get a choice of silver, gold or rose gold colours.
3. LaCie Rugged USB-C Mobile Hard Drive – 1TB, 2TB or 4TB – RUGGED
Another entry from LaCie, this time the popular rubber surround, the Rugged USB-C portable drive combines rugged durability with cutting-edge USB-C connectivity. If you have to travel, for field work, to photoshoots or simply loves the outdoor, you cannot go wrong with LaCie Rugged.
It offers extra physical protection for your hard drive, protecting the body hard drive and securing your data. Using the standard spindle hard discs meant you have a choice of 1TB to super huge 4TB, plenty of storage to take on anything. You can use the LaCie Rugged Mini USB-C as a shuttle drive to transport footage from set to post-production or to store a huge Lightroom library.
- New USB-C connector for the latest MacBook Pro models included USB 3.0 adapter
- Bus powered for mobile workflows
- Drop-, crush– and rain-resistant for all-terrain use
- Time Machine compatible
- Easy cross-platform formatting utility
4. G-Technology G-DRIVE Slim SSD Drive USB-C – 500GB or 1TB SSD
Another offering from G-Technology, the Slim SSD is super slim and offers storage options of 500GB or 1TB. All that space does not come cheap but it does mean that you get the best performance with your USB-C interface and super fast data read with Solid State technology delivering a throughput of up to 540MB/s. Just like the spindle hard disk drive version, the unit is covered in lightweight aluminium with a stylish design.
- USB-C connectivity (USB 3.1 Gen 2) and SSD drive deliver transfers up to 540 MB/s
- Sleek, lightweight aluminium case
- Compatible with systems featuring Thunderbolt 3, USB-C or USB 3.0 using included Type-C to Type-A adapter cable
- Bus-powered design eliminates the need for a separate power connection
- Plug-and-play with Mac for peak performance with Time Machine compatible
- Easily reformatted for use with Windows PCs
5. SanDisk Extreme 510 USB-C Portable SSD – 480GB SSD, DURABLE
SanDisk Extreme 510 Portable SSD has a square profile. It combines the performance of a portable SSD with all-terrain durability and IP55-rated water-resistance. This is the second hard drive apart from the LaCie Rugged that is ruggedised but the difference is, the SanDisk Extreme 510 is based on SSD, with read speeds of up to 430MB/s and write speeds of up to 400MB/s.
The tough, water-resistant SanDisk Extreme 510 Portable SSD offers a storage capacity of 480GB and 128-bit AES encryption for password protection, making it a must-have for your important files. This truly portable SSD clips securely onto your bag and is small enough to fit in the pocket.
- Combines portable SSD performance with all-terrain durability and IP55-rated water resistance
- 480GB capacity high performance transfer drive
- Read speeds of up to 430 MBps and write speeds of up to 400 MBps
- 128-bit AES encryption for password protection with SanDisk SecureAccess software encrypts private files
- Rugged rubber bumper for added protection
- Compatible with USB-C and USB 3.0
BONUS: Samsung T3 Portable SSD – 250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB SSD, SHOCK-PROOF, COMPACT
Compact and lightweight with shock resistant metal body and superfast SSD performance, the Samsung T3 Portable SSD is a palm size drive with a USB 3.1 Type-C interface. While it comes with a Type-C to Type-A cable, those with the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and MacBook 12 will need a Type-C to Type-C cable. The drive offers amazing read/write speeds of up to 450MB/s. It has a metal outer body and special internal frame designed to withstand drops of up to 6.5 feet.
- Portable Design with Internal SSD-level Performance
- Superfast Read-Write Speeds of up to 450 MB/s
- Shock Resistant & Secure AES 256-bit Hardware Encryption
- Compatible with PC, Mac, & Android OS
So there you have it, our list of some of the Best Type-C hard drives in the market. Most hard drives are backward compatible with the inclusion on a Type-C to Type-A cable. Even if it does not come with you, you can find one in the market in case you need to access the data there on devices with Type-A ports only.
Anglebird SSD2go PKT USB 3.1 Type-C SSD Drive – 256GB or 512GB SSD
Finally, we look at another SSD based portable storage, from a relatively unknown manufacturer. We can’t really ignore this offering as it does have an SSD drive inside to boot and come with the new USB3.1 Type-C connector, which is what this post is all about.